Becoming a new parent is an expensive business. Babies need an inordinate amount of paraphernalia! From the cheap bottle sterilizing fluid to a pram (one of the most expensive investments you will make in the first year), life with a baby is pricey. So what is essential, when it comes to baby purchases?
3 basic essentials
- Good quality night nappy – even if you choose an inexpensive or eco friendly toweling nappy for during the day, a good quality nighttime nappy is essential. You will suffer many night wakings and some will be for good reason but waking for a cold wet baby is something that can be avoided. So to limit unnecessary sleep disturbance, make sure that your baby’s nappy is really good quality.
- Dummy – There are more sensory receptors in your mouth and hand than anywhere else on your body. Which is why your little one calms so effectively by sucking. An orthodontic dummy is an essential baby basic.
- Swaddle – A basic swaddling blanket is an essential. Make sure its 100% cotton, stretchy to contain your baby’s little reflexes and preferably shaped or big enough to fold into a triangle.
3 investment essentials
- Baby Carrier – Getting your baby from A to B, getting out for a nice walk and soothing an irritable tot are just three of the reasons you should buy a good quality carrier. From birth to the toddler years – this baby product will become part of your essential toolkit.
- Mobile – Your baby will love to lie under a mobile and in the early weeks, will just love the stimulation of watching the brightly coloured toys float above his head. Later on he will reach for and grab and play with the items on the mobile. All this encourages your baby’s development as well as buys you a few minutes to make a cup of tea.
- Breast pump – Breastfeeding doesn’t always come easily and a breast pump is a wonderful tool. If you are going back to work, a breast pump will help you pump and store sufficient milk for your baby’s feeds while you are away.